Today’s recipe is a twist on ‘Taco Tuesday’. Included are several variations on how you can serve this citrus shrimp taco dish. This is perfect for any picky eaters and offers a great way to change things up to suit your dietary needs.
The Inspiration Behind Shrimp Tacos Citrus Mix
When cooking for family and friends, I always seem to find myself in a endless battle of what to make for dinner. Most dishes that are quick and easy often are not the healthiest as they are usually deep fried or loaded in carbs. And I’m sure most of you reading this now can agree that getting a child to sit down and finish a plate of boring vegetables will seem like a life sentence. This is when I concluded it was time to make a bold change. So, I decided to challenge myself and my family to help hunt for ways to not only make our favorite dishes healthier, but ones where my kids could learn to prepare themselves, eventually, as well.
Find Something They Love And Go With It!
Everyone in my family seems to enjoy avocados, so right there was a good starting point for me when looking for a healthy recipe. Wondering why avocados so great? Well, according to Medical News Today, “Avocados are a great source of vitamins C, E, K, and B-6, as well as riboflavin, niacin, folate, pantothenic acid, magnesium, and potassium. They also provide lutein, beta-carotene, and omega-3 fatty acids. Although most of the calories in an avocado come from fat, don’t shy away!”. If you want to learn more click here to read, 12 health benefits of avocado.
Also, before purchasing your ingredients, be sure to click here to read, Do I Always Have to Buy Organic? Here’s What You NEED to Know.
Ingredients For Shrimp Taco Citrus Mix:
- a small bag of cooked shrimp, thawed, and tails removed
- 1 large orange
- 1/4 cup red onions
- 1/4 cup red, orange and/or yellow peppers (suit to taste)
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 a fresh lemon
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, sliced finely
- 1 large head of Boston lettuce (optional)
- 1 package of flat bread (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
Directions: Suitable For Kids 8 and Older
- Begin by cleaning the orange skin, then finely grate 1 tsp of orange zest (as shown in picture)
- dice the red onion and chop the peppers and peeled orange
- toss all the ingredients into a bowl with the oil and salt and pepper to taste
- Squeeze the juices from half a lemon
- set in the refrigerator for 30 mins to a few hours to allow the flavors to come together. This also helps take away the sharpness of the red onion.
- Before serving, add in the diced avocado and fresh basil. Add more salt or pepper if needed.
- Now that the mix is prepared your serving choices are endless!
Some enjoyed their’s spooned into a leaf of the Boston lettuce with a few dashes FRANKS RedHot sauce (as shown as feature picture). Where as the kids both preferred their shrimp taco mix inside flatbread also with a drizzle of FRANKS. My brother opted for it on it’s own, again drizzled with FRANKS and a dab of sour cream.
I would personally LOVE to try this dish again in the Summer, roasted on the BBQ for a smokier and perhaps sweeter flavour, topped on a bunless burger. How will you be enjoying this dish tonight?