These orange-walnut macaroons are perfect for this time of year! Not only are they in season but they’re packed with vitamin C and other minerals and antioxidants. It’s because of this that baking with oranges is always a smart idea. Don’t wait and treat yourself (and your loved ones) with those delicious macaroons. Perfect for your afternoon snack as well. Do you know the difference between a macaron vs macaroon? Click here to find out!
I did not add sugar in the recipe because the vanilla yogurt is already sweetened. I also recommend buying organic oranges because we need the zest and the outer skin may contain pesticides in conventional ones. To learn more about whether always need to buy organic click here!
This recipe makes 18 pieces:
- 100g whole wheat flour
- 1 orange (juice + zest)
- 1 egg
- 85g almond flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 120g Vanilla Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp chopped walnuts (+ some for the topping)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 370°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine whole wheat flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda and the chopped walnuts.
- In another bowl, add the orange juice and zest, vanilla extract, egg and yogurt. Mix until well combined.
- Add this mixture to the dry ingredients in the other bowl and stir until combined.
- With a small cookie scoop (or 2 spoons), scoop the macaroons into small balls. Place on the baking sheet.
- Place a walnut on the top of each macaroons.
- Bake for about 25min or until macaroons are lightly golden on top.